Saturday, January 16, 2010

A day by the Sea of Galilee

We started out the day yesterday with a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee. We ended up with a tourist group from Columbia on our boat, and, boy, were they a lively bunch! We then drove to the Jordan River, which is just a beautiful area. We ended the day at the ruins of Capernaum, where Jesus spent His last years of ministering. It is incredible to me how much history I am learning about the places where my Jesus walked. The facts I have heard since I was a child are now becoming real places to me... I am walking where He walked, touching the water He calmed, and looking at the places He saw. But, even though I will be leaving these places in a few days, He will be going with me because He lives within me!
On a boat ride, looking onto the Sea of Galilee
These are ruins of a boat that were found about a decade ago during a dry season here. Of course, no one knows to whom this boat belonged, but it was certainly used several centuries ago. They now call it the "Jesus boat."


At the Jordan River, close to where it joins the Sea of Galilee
The peaceful Jordan River
Pastor Bob and Mrs. Judy standing at an entry point to the Jordan River. Thousands are baptized here each year, but we just enjoyed feeding bread to the numerous hungry catfish and muskrats.
My sweetie and I at the Jordan River
There were at least 20 plaques exactly like this one, with the Scripture passage about Jesus' baptism in the Jordan River. Each plaque had the same reference printed, only in a different language. We were amused by this one that was typed in "Hawaii Pidgin."
Standing by the Jordan River
Entrance to Capernaum
Statue of Peter in Ancient Capernaum
Ruins of a synagogue in Capernaum. It is very likely Jesus stood in this very place and read the Scriptures.
Inside synagogue ruins in Capernaum. Here we are trying out one of those aspect-type photos, where it looks like we are trying to hold the pillars. Guess we should have shown a little more stress on our faces to make it look real!
Ruins in Capernaum, showing the separation of living quarters for different families.
An ancient olive press
Ancient synagogue with homes close to it. I was actually surprised at how close the homes were to the synagogue. It was apparent that some people lived just a few steps (literally) from their place of worship.
Dinner by the Sea of Galilee, where David and I shared "St. Peter's fish" A romantic evening in Capernaum, on the shores of the Sea of Galilee
Nearly 10 years and still in love!

2 comments:

  1. Ya'll are SO CUTE! I'm glad you're having a wonderful time to celebrate God's blessings in your lives together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sea of Galilee is my favorite place in Isarel. I really enjoyed looking at your pictures! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25