Friday, June 4, 2010

A Guest Post by David - Family Vacation for the Families of Fallen Israeli Soldiers

We have had a special time with the dear mothers and fathers who are grieving the loss of their sons and daughters who have been killed in action while serving in the Givati Brigade of the IDF. There were about 400 parents in attendance for the opening ceremonies Thursday night. During the ceremony, the letter from Vice Prime Minister Ya'alon was read to the parents. They were very touched by that letter.

Dr. Vineyard spoke at the ceremony, expressing our support to Israel because of what the Bible says about God's chosen people.

Then our group sang to the parents, and following that the officer who was the Master of Ceremonies honored the friends of Givati Brigade with a verybeautiful plaque. I was humbled and honored to receive a plaque recognizing our friendship with Israel. The plaque reads: "Presented by the Givati Brigade to David & Jolene Sloan in Appreciation for their Generous Gift for the Givati Family Vacation June 3-5, 2010 Blue Bay Hotel Netanya, Israel".

On Friday morning after breakfast we all loaded up on six buses and went to visit the beautiful coastal town of Caesarea, which is just about a 15-minute drive from where we're staying. After spending all morning sightseeing, we went to a beautiful park and had a wonderful picnic. After lunch we went to a museum, then returned to the hotel.

Later tonight we will have Shabbat Dinner with the families.

Thank you for your prayers for our group. We will finish up the event Saturday with lunch, then we will have more meetings with our friends here before I return home to Ukraine on Monday, Lord-willing.

This post can also be found on my blog In Support of Israel.

6 comments:

  1. Dearest David and Jolene,

    I usually read all my e-mails, and then answer them. But I want to write this immediately after having read your very touching e-mail, and while their are still tears running down my face. Letters like yours should be answered while the emotion is still fresh.

    I don't know what provoked the tears...reading about the plaque presented to you and Jolene, or seeing the pictures...then there are the memories of precious days spent alone with my "baby" son, who isn't a baby any more...but just the thoughts of how the Lord is using you brings back memories of days when you were at home, helping to hold down the fort when you had to be a man long before your time...when your three brothers had left you to carry the load of mission work, caring for Daddy, and defending us during the time of war...

    ...going out alone, and walking war-torn streets to cash checks, and bring back medicine for Daddy.

    I believe that was all in preparation for what lay ahead for you, adjusting to life on another continent, mastering so beautifully the language, and now, joy beyond words fills my heart to hear how God is using you and Jolene in still yet another incredible ministry...to the Jewish people.

    And as in everything you do, you do it with gusto, and with a passion surpassing my understanding.

    May all your dreams come true, and all your sacrifices be rewarded!

    You're all I want in this life, and you have fulfilled my wildest dreams of what you would someday become!

    All my love,
    Mom
    Nahum 1:7

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOWDY! Bro. David, Pray all is going great there in Israel. I humbly ask the LORD to strengthen you and to give you wisdom and knowledge and a perfect understanding to not only reach out to G_D'S People but to be a source of encouragement to them all. I am following closely the reports of the recent attempts to make Israel the "world's villain". May G_D Richly Bless You There! The Land that G_D Loves!

    If you get a chance, tell Colonel Katz, that I pray this prayer for his people and for his country. "Look down from thy holy habitation, from heaven, and bless thy people Israel, and the land which thou hast given us, as thou swarest unto our fathers, a land that floweth with milk and honey." Devarim (Deut. 26:15)

    I pray that G_D will repay the enemies of the Hebrew seventy-fold for the hatred shown and committed against all of the chosen people of G_D. To the blockade, I say "Go Israel" and when our President scolds Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu all I can say is "GO ISRAEL!!!" Tell all of Israel, there are some of us that do stand with them!

    Bro. David, please let those you come into contact with, that this old country bumpkin also stands with Israel!! Boy, this just gets to me that America is going to turn her back on Israel. I know the Bible says that all nations will do so. Yet, I prayed that it wouldn't be today!

    Please tell Colonel Katz, that this old man here in Decatur is praying for his Bride and him that G_D would bless them with a blessed baby girl. As according to G-D'S Will, may it be so, about this time next year, according to the time of life. Nothing is like a little girl's love for her daddy!! You know this is true, Bro. David, don't you!! Looking just at the photos and seeing Brianna just light up with you is a blessing to me. Oh, may the Colonel and his wife, may they too know this great blessing!

    May the L_RD Bless Thee and Keep Thee Always!!

    Love Y'all,
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing David.

    I am praying for your safety.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  4. David

    I would have enjoyed being with you for these meetings. In no way would I even remotely consider receiving your plaque as a gift...I did nothing to receive it and it will be a treasure for your family for the rest of your lives. God has blessed your life and ministry.

    In His love,
    Papa Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, David,

    I am glad you made it safely to Israel. I have been praying for you and will continue to do so. When do you go back to Ukraine? And who are the pastors who went from America?

    Have a wonderful day!

    ---Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jolene, please thank your sweetheart for posting while in Israel. I have been touched, challenged, and encouraged to pray more and more. Tonight I am praying for these families of fallen soldiers. Thank you for sharing and for making a difference!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25