Sunday, February 17, 2013

Traveling makes you richer

Oh, the places we have been in a year's time!  My next post will be a round-up of countries we visited or lived in during the year 2012.  

2012 was definitely a year for our family to get to know one another.  Six people living together, many of those nights in one room, and traveling together in one mini van gave plenty of opportunity for each to see each other at their best and worst.

And looky there - we survived!  Not only did we survive, but I think we drew closer as a family.  It gave us the opportunity to work through things as a team, and learn how to put one another first (not that we always did, but we were learning.)  In hotel rooms, the children rotated who would sleep on the bed and who would sleep on the floor.  In the van, the three older ones constantly rotated seats and learned what it meant to leave a clean seat for the next person.  One bathroom with one shower... it was all good for us. 

And here is what I got to see whenever I wanted to turn and look around in the van...




 {Below} Love that little boy's leg, hanging over the side of his car seat.
Very little sleeping went on in the van as we traveled... my kids just are not sleepy travelers.  Oh, but they sure did enjoy the open road as we traveled from September to December!  I think I would sum up their year as a big lesson in learning to live in tight spaces and be flexible... great life lessons that we can all use some brushing up on from time to time.

Many people feel sorry for missionary kids because they "miss out on so much."  But, really, missionary kids get to see so many more places and experience so much more than they would if they were "normal."  Yes, they do miss out on some material things, but they trade that for something bigger.  And when we're having a "chips and soda" kind of day, I like to remind them, "Isn't it fun being a missionary kid?!"

16 comments:

  1. Cute post! Little Micah is A-dorable in that picture! All of them are cute but he is just posing! :) There is something great about traveling all together as a family! Love my missionary kids too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet faces! Made me smile and remember our time on furlough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this and I love your attitude! Of all the places you have traveled, we are SO glad you have traveled here!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jolene, I love your posts!
    You are so right about road trips the good the bad the ugly but mostly the love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good times! Love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pic of Bro. David in his natural habitat - GREAT!
    PB

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh what a sweet post! Though we have not traveled as a family nearly as much as your family has, we have done some traveling. For the past 6 years we have been no where near any family. We lived in SD and would make the long drives from SD to GA to visit my family, then from SD to TX to visit my husbands family. I am in ways thankful that since our move to CA, we do not have to even consider driving as flying is our only option (bc of the number of days it would take from my husband's leave to just be on the road.) I said all that to say :)....We have made some of our most wonderful family memories on the road...singing hymns, listening to some wonderful preaching and just being together, what rich, sweet times! I loved the pics. you took of your family on the van :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this! Thank you!

    Love you!

    Tammie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice picture of you guys. Sure do miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband & I agree so much that traveling together brings your family so much closer! We did deputation for 2 1/2 years when our children were in their pre- to early teens, and we count those as some of the best years of our family. You're so right that missionary kids get to do so much more than "regular" kids. How many children do you meet who have traveled as much as your children have and seen as many things around the country and world?! It's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jolene, first I LOVE all the family pictures you shared in another post!!! Gorgeous, inside and out!!! I just love the true joy, love, and smiles. Your family shines for HIM! And, I'm totally with you that traveling makes you richer. Sometimes I've wondered if all the hours in cars, planes, and moving around the globe are "worth anything." But, those times are precious memories I have with my husband and children. God calls; and we "go!" Yes, it can be hard, very hard and I want the ebs and flows of normal life in my cozy home, but God has always been so faithful to answer my prayers for patience and joy! It's those little, silly moments in car (like your wonderful travel pictures) that end up to be the moments our family loves to remember together!!! *Hugs & Prayers!*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like lots of fun. We did deputation for 21 months back in 1998 and our kids were 1,3 and 5 and it was work but we got to see and do so much. I love being a missionary and you're right, missionary kids are so lucky to get to see and experience so much. Wow, we have awesome lives! BTW, I love that little leg hanging over the seat too. precious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are adorable! TRuly! And I agree experiences makes one richer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never get tired of seeing your children's sweet faces. Thanks for continuing to share them with us. As a military wife, I understand the traveling makes you richer sentiment very well. I always loved it and still do when my body allows for it.
    I have you in my thoughts and prayers today as always. May your day be sweet, full of God's special sunshine given in unexpected ways like children's laughter, a stranger's smile, or a friend's smile, a word of kindness from someone, a sunset to beat all sunsets, and fond memories of times spent with loved ones near and far. God is so GOOD.
    I love you and pray that you are being sustained in his grace and that David is safely attending to his business for the Lord.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved that post. It is so true. Your kids are so adorable looking sitting back there! It was fun to see them all again. You forgot to take your own picture though. I miss seeing you too! Hee Hee

    Love ya,
    Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this and love your blog. I am catching up on all the posts I am behind on. =) I was reading your blog back when I lived in CA and was reading up on all things Russia, then I came to Russia and now you are in CA - kinda funny. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25