Monday, October 11, 2010

Missionary Monday - Safely on Shore

My three young 'uns, in our Ukrainian village, just a week before our departure to America

After 5 flights, one day of non-stop driving for 12 hours, and other go-get-'em days, I have finally found a minute to let you know we safely landed in America. Thank you to all of you who wrote to let me know you were praying. I am overwhelmed at the thought of how many of you there are that read this blog and have written to let me know you are out there praying!

After two years of being away from America, let me tell ya... we are going through culture shock in our own land. I expected it from the kids, but even I myself am feeling a little like a stranger in my home country. It is hitting me that I really don't belong anywhere. I'll never be 100% Ukrainian. But the more I try to fit in there, the more I lose of my own "identity" here.

I look forward to sharing more with you later about some of the things that we are re-adjusting to. Just know, though, that some of those adjustments have certainly been very pleasant... like Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Wal-Mart, Target, and, oh yes... did I mention Wal-Mart?!

Because of all of the traveling and time changes, David's and my immune systems have faltered. Even though the kids are tired and have missed way too many naps, they are doing fabulous.

There is so, so much to share. But for now, I need to get this pregnant lady (whose tummy has doubled in size this week... could it be the yummy food?!) to bed.

So, good night, dear friends... from your misplaced missionary friend who will be sleeping soundly tonight in the gorgeous state of Kentucky. ZZZZZZzzzzzz.....

16 comments:

  1. always enjoy reading your updates! Lord bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You dear little pregnant lady!!! I am sure it is wonderful for you to be back in the States! I am just glad we are only about 1500 miles apart! Can't wait to see you next month! Take good care of yourself, and get plenty of rest!

    We are praying for you!

    Love,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer Spell BontragerTuesday, October 12, 2010

    So glad you made it back safely. I hope your furlough is refreshing for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise the Lord for your safe arrival. Our family is getting excited about our upcoming furlough, too. Be sure to clue me in on any ideas for American culture shock; I know it is going to hit hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A year ago we were on our first furlough. I can totally understand about the culture shock... and Wal-Mart! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made it!!! Would LOVE to come visit the family while you are here! We will be headed back to your home away from home soon but always have time for great friends!
    Say HI! to everyone.
    Nance

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear you made it safely to the States! I can't even begin to imagine how exhausted you are. I hope you get lots of rest and lots of Walmart trips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Kentucky?! That sure is God's Country. That is my home sweet home. So glad to hear you have arrived safely. We did pray for you! Hope to see you when you come to North Valley Baptist Church

    Love,
    Sara Smith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for your family often! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. God Bless You all. Love & prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can so relate to what you are going through! I remember feeling exactly the same way when I went home last year. It definitely makes you remember that we are strangers on this earth. Praying for you. Please get rest. It is SO important, especially with the new baby. Again, praying for you and love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I saw you guys' picture on facebook for the Missionary Transportation people. I haven't seen a picture of you guys with your kids recently -- they sure are getting big. Looks like Davey is about ready to pass you! Cute picture and so thankful you've made it "home" safely. Still praying for ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are safe & sound! *hugs* :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying you all have a wonderful time in the states. Always enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. PTL! Ya'll be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you made it. Blessing to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25