Even though our home in Ukraine is "American," our children have lived in Ukraine most of their lives. And, since some things that are in America are not in Ukraine, we have enjoyed watching the childrens' reactions to those "new" things.
I have had a lot of time on the road, so I used some of this "mundane time" of riding to make a list of things the kids have mentioned, or even made us laugh over, that are different to them. Here are just a few of those things on my list:
1. Free condiments at fast food places (Yes, we pay extra for this stuff in Ukraine, and the kids can't believe it is free here... or that nobody is watching to make sure you only take just enough.) 2. Vending machines (These are just now coming out in Ukraine, but they are still a new idea and highly entertaining for my children)
3. Sidewalks in front of homes (And the funny thing? People in America do not walk like Ukrainians do! These sure would be nice in every neighborhood in Ukraine like they are so abundantly available here.)
4. GPS systems (Our van has one of these, but the most entertaining part of all to us is that most pastors assume we have one. I guess everyone has one now, either on their dashboard or on their cell phone...)
5. "Automatic bathrooms".... i.e. toilets that flush automatically, sinks where the water automatically flows when you wave your hands under them, automatic paper towel dispensers, etc...
(You should see the scared looks on my hillbilly kids' faces when the toilets flush automatically... or watch them try to figure out where the water faucet is to turn the water on! And just try to explain to my kids that you can walk away while that water is still running... that it will eventually go off by itself... and they won't get in trouble for leaving the water running!)
6. Signs that say "Don't Text and Drive." Whatever happened to "Don't Drink and Drive"?! My how the times have changed!
7. Drinking fountains (I nearly dread when a place has these... and nearly every place does... because it means a minimum 5-minute detour for our family!)
8. Clothes dryers in EVERY home (Ahhh... now these are Mommy's favorite. Do I even have to tell you to be thankful for your dryers? And did you know it is a MIRACLE to put something dirty in to wash and be able to wear it less than 2 hours later?! Even hubby is enjoying the miracle of clothes dryers.... I know because he has been very willing to help me with laundry these days!)And, have you ever had your kids see a dryer sheet and ask, "What is that?" Oh, I have! 9. Car-transporting trailer trucks