Saturday, March 3, 2012

Fresh from the oven...

I love the bread here.  It {usually} has no preservatives, and, even though it does not last very long (just a day or two before it hardens), it is soooo good when it is fresh!
{Below} It is a normal sight to see trucks unloading unwrapped loaves of bread like this...
{Below} Loaves are sold in the store, and are left unwrapped until you order it.  You can even order just a half or a quarter of a loaf and watch them grab a knife and cut it for you!

{Below} This is what the bread looks like in our particular grocery store.  It is typically not square, but round or oblong like French bread.  We are supplied with bags (think of bagging your own fruits in America), and we can choose from a variety of shapes and sizes.
{Below} Bread plays a very important role in Ukrainian culture.  It is used to celebrate Easter, weddings, Christmas, etc., and is found in every home, rich or poor.  It is a daily staple to Ukrainian life!
{Below} We buy several loaves a week and freeze them.  Many times when we get home from the grocery store with our bread, it is still warm!  We purposefully leave our loaves in the freezer until we are ready to eat it, and then we thaw it in the microwave and serve it warm.  Nothing better!


One thing we really enjoy laughing about is the way that people handle bread here.  Many times you can see it unwrapped, laying in the back window ledge of a vehicle.  Or sometimes you can see it sticking (unwrapped) out of a lady's purse.  Or better yet, we have seen it under men's arms, being carried like a newspaper!  Not making this stuff up, folks.  Sometimes we like to call it "the football."

So, wanna know how much a loaf of bread costs here?  Ready for it....?

about 40-50 cents for one of those fresh babies!

Who is ready to move to Ukraine now?

Even hubby, who didn't think he could survive in a country without tortillas (remember that he grew up as a second-generation missionary kid) is making it just fine here.  Oh, no... more than just fine!

14 comments:

  1. It looks delicious, and it sure is cheap! Having it unwrapped wouldn't bother me, and neither would carrying it in the lady's purse, but the loaf under the man's arm would not be so great! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting and a little funny too. I haven't told you, but we have a family who has been attending oar church from Ukraine (long story). She has had us in her home to eat (delicious), and also she jphas given us several loaves of homemade bread. She gives it to us in a plastic grocery bag! At first I was a little taken back by that. You know, we usually wrap food in plastic wrap or put it in some type of container! It didn't bother us for long though, 'cause we eat it like we've never seen bread before! It does get hard quickly though. I'm glad you explained why! She also gives us delicious muffins that she makes. As a matter of fact she brought a bunch to our soul-winning breakfast this morning. She also makes a chocolate sauce to o over the muffins that is delicious! Everyone loved it! She is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I wouldn't mind paying 50 cents for a loaf of bread. My hubby came home with WONDER Bread today and it was $2.00!!!! Ugg. Your bread there looks amazing. Send me a loaf, would ya? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have to admit bread is something I really do miss about Ukraine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful. I love homemade bread. My mom makes great bread, but I haven't gotten the hang of it in my gas oven here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jolene, I loved the bread post and the baby post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm...I can almost smell it here in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to Ukraine when I was 13 and clearly remember the amazing bread there and how cheap it was! I am jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both this post and the last one! They are exactly the same here in Russia! Actually, I should say that both were the same when we lived in Krasnodar (loved those bread trucks!) but in St. Pete though the baby stuff still applies, we never see bread trucks anymore. =( Too big-city I guess. I loved the smaller town feel and miss it greatly, though I certainly love the incredible culture here as well. I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember when we first visited Ukraine in 1997, it was strange seeing bread being sold out of the back of a truck! Now its usually sold out of little kiosks or at the grocery stores. Do you have a store chain called "Kopeika" near you? We have one that is near the end of the bus line, close to our Russian tutor's apartment. They have a bakery inside the store there, and if we go at the right time, the bread we buy "baton" is still warm and oh, so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are really missing our Ukrainian bread now that we are in Israel and it costs nearly $3 for the cheapest loaf!

      No, we don’t have a “Kopeika” store in our area (in Ukraine) that I’m aware of. But, we do get the warm bread at our local grocery store called “FM.” Love it! And missing it right now!

      Delete
  11. I can't believe the bread is that cheap! We pay at least 3 almost 4 dollars a loaf! We can get it fresh from the bakery and if it's warm I have to taste it before it gets cold. I love bread. Bread here is very heavy compared to American bread. This was an interesting post! Maria

    ReplyDelete
  12. My bread story is from when I was working in a Russian school (not a Christian school). We had a little girl visit from America, and she threw away the bread from her lunch. The teachers called her and me over to the side of the room, and wanted me to explain to the poor child that wasting bread is SIN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have definitely heard that before - that the children are taught that it is literally a SIN to waste… even the heels of the bread. To the contrary, the village kids where we used to live are told that the heel of the bread is where all of the vitamins are. (I’m assuming that is to get them to WANT that part! LOL!)

      Delete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25