Monday, January 30, 2012

Cold hands, Warm heart


This week we are concentrating on staying warm.  Our temperatures this week are in the teens and below.... Yes, even below zero at times.

I'm an Oklahoma girl.  Hubby is from Mexico.  We've lived here nearly 10 years and still have not "warmed up" to these freezing temperatures.  So, please excuse me as I step away from my normal duties to wrap a blanky around my baby and hold him a little closer.  And when I'm not doing that, you just might find me at the kitchen sink, enjoying washing dishes with my hands under the hot water.  And those layers of clothes you see?  In my home, it is quite the modern fashion to wear layers these days... lots and lots of them.  

If you could be near us, you just might smell smoke on us.... that woodsy, fireplace smell that emanates from our wood-burning stove.  

If you could look in my mug, you just might see and smell coffee or tea with honey.  

And, when I go to bed tonight, if you could see me, you would see that I have moved my baby's bed out of his room and into mine, right next to my bed.  Gotta be sure he is covered well all night.

Yes, it is cold.  

But, I am not worried about us.  When I wanna shiver, I think about our church people and wonder if they are warm.  Most of them do not have cars, so they trudge through the snow and feel the fierce wind in their faces as they walk to catch a city bus.  We lived through that our first year here, and it is not a life of ease.

When your thoughts turn towards your missionaries this month, pray for those in cold countries.  And pray for their people that they love so dearly, especially those who do not have all of the modern conveniences.... like vehicles and "warm enough" homes.

Now, time for me to go add some honey to that cup of tea that has been brewing...

9 comments:

  1. I can understand your cold.:)We live in the US but it is sometimes cold at our house.I will pray that you all will stay warm and that God will keep you all healthy.That cup of tea sounds good.
    It is funny I had never realised till recent years that our family smells like a woodstove when someone pointed out as they kissed our baby that we must heat with wood.:)At least it is a cozy smell.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay warm! I have been living with layered clothing this month, too! I can't seem to stay warm!

    Will be praying no one gets sick from the cold!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the homeless people! They're the ones I worry about. Please pray for them.

    We don't have a car, but we're used to it. We've never had one. My husband is off to catch a bus right now. I will say that I am glad that the rest of us don't have to go with him! We're going sledding instead. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you today and your people. It is summer here in Kenya and quite warm. It will be interesting to see how chilly Nakuru gets this June-August.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we take so much for granted. I thank God every morning that I wake up in a warm house with the heat on. I feel bad because I wake and I'm hot lol! I will pray your family gets warm, and for the poor people that have to walk out in that cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather has turned cold here too - temperatures today are below 0 F.
    Thankful our apartment is so cozy and warm.

    Warm hearts keep a family happy....even if the house is a little chilly.

    Stay warm, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jolene, this post touched my heart so much that I shared it with my friends on Facebook. Bless your heart! I know you will be glad for Spring. We have cold winters, but I know not as cold as you do. We have had a surprisingly mild winter, but still looking forward to Spring! Stay warm.......PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jolene, this post touched my heart so much that I shared it with my friends on Facebook. Bless your heart! I know you will be glad for Spring. We have cold winters, but I know not as cold as you do. We have had a surprisingly mild winter, but still looking forward to Spring! Stay warm.......PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww that pic is so sweet:)) And yes, we have been praying for missionaries so often here as of late!!! (well, we do all the time, but it has been unusually often here lately) and we will be sure to pray extra for you guys as well:)) the Cold can be quite "ughhhhing" sometimes lol ;)) Ya'lls attitudes about things are so wonderful:)) Love you guys!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25