Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tragic loss of a missionary daughter

We are heartbroken. A dear friend and co-worker was tragically killed on Sunday in a kayaking accident. Carissa Ireland, age 20, and her friend Irina McEntee, age 18, were paddling off of the Coast of Maine to Irina's family's summer home. They are both students of Pensacola Christian College in Florida and were looking forward to some vacation time together. You can read the story of their tragic accident and the attempted Coast Guard rescue in the Press Herald newspaper article here.
The Ireland family have been faithfully serving the Lord as missionaries in Ukraine even longer than we have. Carissa and her 6 siblings grew up here (several hours north of where we are), and Carissa was fluent in Russian. Her friend Irina was a Russian who was adopted at the age of 7, so they had common Eastern European ties.Until they began heading to America for college, Carissa, her older sister Colleen, and younger brother Mike were regular attendees of our annual summer youth camp held here in Ukraine. They came every summer to camp with their sleeves rolled up, ready to jump in and help, no matter how difficult the task. The word servant is only one of the many adjectives I could use to describe this family.

Just a few hours ago we received a letter from Pastor Luis Ramos in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, who was our guest speaker at one of these summer camps. Here is what he wrote to my husband:

Dear Bro. Sloan,

I remember Carissa very well. We had several conversations about the will of God. She was a wonderful Christian. Please tell Bro. Ireland and his wife that I will be praying for them. Please also tell them that God has used the death of wonderful young people like William Borden and David Brainard for His glory, for the salvation of souls and the awakening of His people. I have no doubt that God is going to use her death in a great way. They should be proud that their daughter was a wonderful testimony to their faith and testimony.

I will be praying for the family and for you! Please keep me informed.

Thank you for letting me know.

Your friend,
Luis Ramos
Last summer, Carissa went on a missions trip to Ghana. She simply loved people. And a lot of people, including us, loved her in return. We will certainly miss this beautiful young lady, but we rest in the knowledge that we will see her again one day in Heaven. Until then, we will continue on with our missionary work, always aware of the brevity of life and importance of being a light in this world.

Carissa, thank you for being a beautiful, shining testimony to this world. And thank you for being an outstanding missionary kid that I can point my own children to as an example of how a missionary kid should live. You have left some big shoes for them to fill here in Ukraine!

9 comments:

  1. How very sad! She was indeed a very beautiful girl!

    Please send my thoughts of sympathy to the Ireland family, and please tell them we will request prayer for them here in our church.

    --Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad, and yet such a glorious appearing she had before the Lord.

    Blessings to you and her family in the loss of such a wonderful Christian servant.

    Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad! It's at times like this that I am reminded of a quote I read regarding the death of a saved person -- "we grieve, but with hope."

    Thanks for sharing this news and I'll be in prayer for both families.

    Garry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I attend church with one of her sisters. This is so sad. Praying for the family and so thankful there is a Heaven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest David and Jolene,

    I just read about the young ladies who died in the boating accident last Sunday. I can tell the Lord has given you a special burden for young people, because of the way you show your grief. We had prayer for the Ireland family last night during prayer meeting.

    I guess you’ve returned from your train trip. I really admire you for making everything an adventure. I still remember how much fun you put into our train trips. The Lord has given you the gift of love, among your many other gifts.

    I love you, and am praying for you, especially for comfort for you, as well as for the Ireland family.

    Mom
    Nahum 1:7

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ministered to my heart today.......thank you my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carissa's sisterThursday, May 20, 2010

    Thank you Mrs. Sloan... I truly enjoyed the pictures, and the thoughts shared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful young lady, inside and out... thank you for sharing her story and I will pray for Carrisa's family today my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sad. Both beautiful girls-- will definitely be missed I'm sure.

    P.S. I have enjoyed reading your blog. We are a much larger family thinking of moving to Ukraine too-- can you share what kind of Visa you have? If you ever have the time, I would love to ask you a few questions. thereed8 at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25